The WISE Hall was built in 1926 and exudes a vintage west coast performance hall feel. From the warm acoustics, to the whiskey-soaked floors, the WISE is a truly indelible venue. The hall features WISE-produced events, and is also available for rent (see below for full details). Please see our Events Calendar for upcoming events.
The WISE is perfect for a wide range of events: live music, dance performances, fundraisers, markets, cabarets, book launches, tastings, weddings, receptions, celebrations, work parties, short-run theatre productions, dance classes and more.
The WISE proudly supports local artists & promoters and is willing to negotiate different rates for qualifying projects and events. Contact us.
You’ll note on arrival a set of railed stairs leading into the Hall. The wheelchair accessible entrance is around back. Please inform the door person of your arrival at the front entrance and they will open the back-ally entrance.
Once inside, you’ll find a spacious wood-floored hall, open concept, tables and chairs set up throughout. The stage (accessible only via stairs) is to your left, and the washrooms towards the back of the hall. The washrooms will be marked “gender neutral”.
Read the Radical Accessibility Mapping Project’s WISE Hall overview or complete audit.
WISE Hall Amenities:
- Over 2,600 SF of floor space
- Hardwood floors
- 17 foot ceilings
- Ample green room
- Tent light ceiling canopy
- Coat check closet
- Ticket counter
- Handicapped accessibility & washrooms
- A licensed, staffed & stocked cash bar
- Performance stage (25′ x 15′, with 9′ ceilings)
- Par can stage lights
- On-stage LED lights
- 3 LED dance lights
- Disco ball
- Spot light
- Capacity of 250, all staff & performers included – standing room only, or
- Seating for 200 auditorium style, or
- Seating for 160 sit down dinner
- Complete sound system, including 24-channel sound board, monitors, on-stage DIs, mics & stands (available for rent – see below for complete details)
- Unrestricted street parking northward between Commercial Drive & Victoria Drive.
* Please note, due to licensing, all events with a WISE bar MUST be 19+. No exceptions, it’s the law. WISE policy is that a bar must be run on week-ends. The WISE does not allow renters to run their own bar.
** The WISE Hall does not have a kitchen and is not able to provide catering, however renters are welcome to bring in their own.
***The WISE Hall is located in a residential neighbourhood; while outside, all members and guests are expected to respect the venue and our neighbours by smoking in the designated area and keeping voices at a reasonable level.
Included in all rentals:
- use of the hall, stage & green room
- use of tables (cocktail & banquet) & chairs
- if requested, a fully staffed & stocked cash bar (featuring some of the finest local & international libations) *mandatory on week-ends
- listing in the WISE on-line calendar for public events
*Please note: re have re-structured rates for 2015/2016 to give you even better value!*
- Monday – Thursday & Sunday, 5pm – 1am block: $695, or $645 for registered non-profits (includes hall rental, sound/light system rental, Hall Liaison & security), or
- Friday, Saturday, 5pm – 2am block: $795 (now includes hall rental, sound/light system rental, Hall Liaison & security), or
- Wedding package, 12pm-2am block: $1,795 (now includes hall rental, sound/light system rental, security, sound technician, set-up & take-down of tables & chairs, busser, hall liaison, SOCAN fees, WISE membership fee) -please see Wedding info below for full details, &/or
- Daytime $50/hour or $25/hour for registered non-profits & arts rehearsals.
- WISE membership (required for all renters, already included in the Wedding Package) $10 individual or $25 organizational
- PST & GST where applicable
- refundable $200 damage deposit (larger damage deposits may be required for extended rentals)
- Full Sound System rental $150 (included in basic rental & Wedding package)
- Light Sound System (2 Mackie speakers on stands, 4-channel board, 2 mics, iPod plug-in) $75
- Sound tech $150 (house tech required for live music, recommended for DJ & stage light operation) *included in Wedding package
- Hall Liaison (on-site WISE rep to assist with all of your logistical needs ~ strongly recommended for first-time renters and weddings) $20/hour *included in Wedding package
- Busser $100 * included in Wedding package
- Clean-up $100 *included in Wedding package
- Set-up ~ please contact for a quote *included in Wedding package
- Security $150 per guard per evening block *1 security included in basic rental & Wedding package
- SOCAN Fees and Re-Sound Fees *included in Wedding package
Some conditions apply to specific events, please read through entire section.
All renters are responsible for: set-up, take-down, bussing tables & security, as well as door staff & door floats for their events. There are staff available, at a fee, to take care of these duties should you not wish to.
The venue is restricted to a strict sound level limit of 90 dB inside the venue.
Bar service ends at 12 am Monday through Thursday and at 1am Friday and Saturday. Guests must vacate the venue no later than 30 minutes following service end time.
Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-254-5858 with any rental or event inquiries.